"If you wish to be a writer, write."
–Epictetus, C. 50-120 A.D.
Me and Daddy.
My father was an avid reader, mainly mass market paperback books, although my parents did subscribe to Book of the Month Club. Of those books I recall Kon-tiki, Payton Place, Captain and Kings, What Makes Sammy Run, A Woman Called Fancy, all of which I read as a kid, along with others. Daddy would read every night as soon as he finished reading the newspaper. He always had a book in his hand, whether he was watching TV, or just sitting in his upholstered platform rocker in the living room. He was the main reason I came to appreciate books as I did. After I was married, he would often give me a bag of paperback books, usually lots of Detectives and Westerns, Louis L'Amour, Max Brand, and a few spicy books (spicy for those days of the early 1960s). I recall reading one of the spicy popular gems, and deciding I could write that. So one night after putting my two young children to bed, I got out my typewriter and began to write a sexy novel. Didn't go well. I gave up on the second night. So for a time that squelched by writing career. I told my Daddy and he just smiled. A couple of years later, I wrote a nonfiction children's science proposal and sent it off to NY. I soon had a response and the editor wanted to see my manuscript when completed. Well, that scared the hell of me! I never finished the manuscript! Soon after I did write a children's storybook but NY turned it down. I often wish my Dad was still here to experience my writing since those days. He passed in 1978, before I seriously got back into writing. But I thank him for encouraging me to read!
Did you receive encouragement from someone to read books?
~Linda


0 Yorumlar