Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Teatime Tuesday, with Recipes but first a story

 We've become addicted to having a campfire in the evenings.  Last night we invited friends to come join us.  It is fun to just hang out with people you've known for a long time.  


While we were visiting by the fire the girls got the horses out to ride for a while. We had quite a scare when Liberty  bolted with Emily on her back - Emily is a very good rider but she bailed off into some bushes.  After chasing her down, Lindsay and Rachel were getting the saddles off etc, when Liberty bolted again and ended up across a busy road nearby.  She apparently went back and forth across this highway several times before she got tired and let Lindsay who was riding Sandy bareback catch her.  We are thankful that she was not hit by a vehicle!




Emily and I had a busy and fulfilling day.  She and I peeled lots of apples and made 2 quarts of sauce, and an English apple pie.  We have more apples to make sauce with as well.  I use Smokehouse apples and use very little sugar.  It is delicious!  Oh, and I also made Pumpkin Scones with maple butter! Yummy with tea! In fact all the recipes are delicious with tea!

My English Apple Pie Recipe is so easy:

4-5 apples (if using a traditional pie pan) 8-10 (for a 9x13)
cinnamon/sugar to pour onto the apples
1 stick of butter (softened)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (packed)
1 cup of flour
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tblsp water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (1 cup for a 9x13)


Peel apples into pan and pour the cinnamon/sugar over the apples evenly.


With a mixer cream butter and brown sugar until thoroughly mixed.  Add the flour, cinnamon, water and walnuts and mix.  Dollop the topping on the apples and back at 375 degrees on the lowest rack of your oven for 45-50 minutes.


You will love it!




Someone asked me for the recipe for Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Crunch and here it is:


From the Gooseberry Patch cookbook Autumn in the Country (page 191)

15 oz can of pumpkin
12 oz can of evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of sugar
4tsp pumpkin pie spice ( I use just cinnamon as I don't like cloves)
1/2 tsp salt
1 18 1/2 oz box of yellow cake mix
1 cup of pecans ( I used walnuts)
1 cup of butter (melted)


Combine the first 6 ingredients until well blended.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture. Top with walnuts and drizzle evenly with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes until the topping is golden.  Cool completely, cut into squares.  You can garnish with whipped cream!




Pumpkin Scones with Maple Butter (from the September/October 2009 Tea Time Magazine issue)

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
(I only used cinnamon, so I put 1 tsp of cinnamon in)
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter 
(I used salted and left out the 1/2 tsp of butter above)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together sugar, salt, 2 1/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and spices.  Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter to the flour mixture until it is thoroughly incorporated.  Add the egg and pumpkin and stir until just combined.  Add additional flour, if necessary until mixture forms a loose dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll to 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut into 12 (2 1/4 inch) rounds.  Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool slightly and serve warm with Maple Butter.

Maple Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup maple syrup.  
In a mixing bowl cream butter and maple syrup together.

It is fantastic!

Now I am off to make a cuppa to start my day!

I am joining Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Teatime Tuesday,

and I am Welcoming Autumn with Kathy at A Delightsome Life!



A Delightsome Life


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar