Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Warm Trees 2017

Each year, our National Arboretum, has an exhibit called 'Warm Trees'.  Selected trees are given winter woollies to combat the cold - and entice more visitors to the arboretum.  The woollies are knitted by volunteers.  This year we are told that when the exhibit is over the woollies will be repurposed, and washed (repaired if necessary before being given to cold humans and/or animals.  Which is lovely. 

We headed off on a chilly day last week and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Given the number of people there I think the inducement was successful.  The arboretum is still a baby and I will be long gone by the time it reaches its peak, but it is a lovely idea and I am always happy to visit.  More forests are planted each year, which I love.  I enjoy the colourful quirkiness of the warm trees exhibit too.
 













Not all of the trees are decorated.  While we were in the area we stopped at the Dragon Tree forest.  And at last some of them are being released/escaping from their cages.  And fruiting.




This is how they looked in previous years.




I look forward to the year when they are totally uncaged...  In the meantime we wandered off to the visitors centre.




Some of the bonsai have also been rugged up.  Just a teeny bit.  And some, despite being tortured were in beautiful bloom.





Looking out the windows there were more woollies to see - and a kite.  I do love kites.




I like the inside of the visitor's centre too.  I think it is stylish.  Lots of light, lots of natural materials. 




Just a few more photos now.





At one stage someone mooted the idea of using the arboretum for eco-funerals.  No coffin, no headstones.  I would very happily sign up to feed the trees. 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar