Thoughts and Quotes: I received these from Friend Katie and feel they are very appropriate just before our presidential election.
If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates. ~Jay Leno~ The problem with political jokes is they get elected. ~Henry Cate, VII~ We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~Aesop~ If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven. ~Will Rogers~ Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. ~Nikita Khrushchev~ When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~ Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton~ Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. ~Author unknown~ Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan~ Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer~ I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them. ~Adlai Stevenson, 1952~ A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. ~ Tex Guinan~ I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians. ~Charles de Gaulle~ Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks. ~Doug Larson~ There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen. ~Will Rogers We'd all like to vote for the best man, but he's never a candidate. ~Kin Hubbard~ Theme Dinners: And the theme was Halloween. My standard Halloween dinner is Five Hour Beef Stew, Perfection Salad, Rolls, and for dessert, Gingerbread, topped with fried apples, vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce. This year I had Five Hour Beef Stew, Tossed Salad (some guests don't like Perfection Salad), Sister Shubert Rolls, and Sweets from the prior day's tea with caramel sundaes. This is the ghost I bought at Goodwill for $2 As everyone likes something different in salad, we made our own FIVE-HOUR STEW 2 lbs stew meat (For best results, use chuck steak or tri-tip) 1 bunch carrots, chopped 1 cup celery, chopped 2 onions, rough chopped 1 envelope onion soup mix 3 Tbs tapioca 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained 2 tsps sugar Salt and pepper Potato chunks (optional) 1 cup each frozen corn and peas Preheat oven to 250°. Mix all ingredients and put in oven-safe pot and cover. Bake five hours. DON’T PEEK! Note: You can use canned corn and peas by draining and adding them when you remove the stew from the oven. It will be hot enough to heat them. Note: If you use a very heavy Dutch oven, the stew might not completely cook in five hours. Note: You can double the recipe, but it makes a lot. I use my turkey roaster. Friend Audell introduced me to Sister Shubert rolls. They're in the frozen foods section. The regular size package has ten rolls and you can heat just what you need. It takes 5-10 minutes. Thrifting: Last week I promised to show the balance of my shopping. Here you go. Tile trivet - $1 About the size of a dish for one stick of butter - 50 cents Divided glass dish - $1 Small bunny about the size of a real mouse - 50 cents Napkins - 50 cents each Reversible placemats - $1 each Teas: Using the food from Sunday's tea, I took photos for the first Autumn tea for my book. I used the food from Sunday - Recipes on Week 45 post. Chicken Salad Finger Sandwiches Carrot Tea Sandwiches Ginger Krakles Pumpkin Cheesecake Balls And I added Apple Scones, Butter and Apple Jelly APPLE SCONES 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 2-1/2 tsps baking powder 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup butter, frozen and grated 1/2 cup whipping cream 1 large egg 1 tsp vanilla 1-3/4 cups packed finely chopped apple Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and add butter. Mix it with your hands or a pastry cutter until combined. In second bowl, mix whipping cream, egg, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and stir gently until moistened. Slowly add apple and gently mix into dough. Move dough to baking sheet and form into an 8” circle. Cut into eight wedges, using floured knife to avoid sticking. Bake 22-25 minutes until golden. Note: Scones may be sprinkled with sugar before baking, if desired. For this tea, I made two circles so the scones would be smaller. Tips: I found this formula for removing dry skin from you feet on Pinterest. I tried it, and it does help. If you try it, I would suggest used a Listerine other than the original. The smell, when combined with vinegar, is rather odd. AND, if you can bear it, my old tried and true method is better. Slather your feet with Vaseline, put on white socks, and leave them on overnight. I find wearing socks to bed very unpleasant, but the result is amazing. Here's the formula: 1/4 cup Listerine, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup warm water. Soak feet 10-15 minutes and then rub with a cloth. I used the rough side of a towel. Time for Others: I've started my Thanksgiving cards, but a small start. Togs: I can only wear the first outfit one day a year. I paid $1 for the scarf at Dollar Tree - love that store. Day 134 Day 135 Day 136 Day 137 Day 138 Day 139 (Same pants as 138) Day 140 This time I had help choosing right down to the jewelry REMEMBER TO VOTE WATCH FOR A SALE ON TURKEYS START WORKING ON YOUR 2017 GOALS HOPE YOU TURNED YOUR CLOCKS BACK TODAY THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE |

0 Yorumlar