These are the leaves of our maple trees - yellow, orange, red and burgundy. Or brown and dead where they have fallen. The kitten loves watching them fall and chases them endlessly. He just does not understand why they keep falling.
Quinces are in season, and look at their yellow nubbliness. Truly a fruit only a mother could love. They are usually used for making something grandmotherly like paste or jam but they are wonderful stewed and poached.
Perfect on a cold winters morning with Greek yoghurt (the sourer the better, I can't stand sweet yoghurt any more it makes me feel physically ill) and meusli.
Who first thought of eating these, I wonder? They taste terrible uncooked.
The first way produces quinces which are pale and caramelised.
Method
Peel and quarter two quinces and two cooking pears (like Beurre Bosc).
Barely cover with a sugar syrup made by boiling two parts water to one part sugar.
Bake in the oven at about 180 for an hour or so. I forgot about these, and they became tender with crisp sugary edges. Most of the liquid dried up, so I don't necessarily recommend the 'I forgot' method but I think they turned out well.
And here they are at breakfast time.
The next method produces rich winey (not in a complaining way) quinces.
Method
Peel and quarter three quinces. Do not core.
Place in a put with the peelings, about half a cup of red wine, a quarter cup of caster sugar, a cinamon stick, two cloves and a splash of orange juice.
Bring the boil and cook until tender. Quinces vary dramatically. Check with a sharp knife before cooling in the sticky liquid.
Eat with vanilla icecream.
Here they are after an hour or so of gentle simmering. I even found a matching bowl with quince coloured edging.



0 Yorumlar