I've had a revelation.
A couple weeks ago, after careful debating, consideration, and frantically emailing my crit partner, I've come to the conclusion that I need to hack a major part of my WIP.
For some reason I thought I needed to have both my main character's POV and the love interest's POV (and for the life of me I can't remember why I came to that conclusion). But I kind of didn't decide that until a little ways into my book. So I had my MC and her personal journey and conflict, and the overarching conflict all the characters had to go through, but the love interest didn't really have his own story. He was just there along for the ride.
After a question was brought up about his POV, I began to think about it. Was his POV necessary to the story? Did he propel any of the plot forward? While he is considered a big character to me (it's sort of an ensemble cast of four characters, with my MC as the main-main character), I couldn't figure out his purpose (besides making out with my MC).
So I'm chopping his POV. Cutting it right out and making it all from my main character's perspective. It's going to take a while, but I think it's worth it. I think it will make my MC stronger.
While their love story is a significant part of the novel, I want to focus more on her personal journey and the four of them as a group and their collective journey together.
Tell me, have you had to chop a significant portion of your book? Was it hard to let go of a big part of your "baby"?



0 Yorumlar